Sunday, February 2, 2014

Dried Bean Math

One of my strategies to simplify my life involves, 
stop buying what you can make.  


A few years ago, I decided to stop purchasing canned food products.  What that meant for me was, I would purchase and use dried beans only.

I ran to the store and quickly purchased 1/2 gallon Ball canning jars.  I filled each jar with my organic red kidney beans, navy beans, chick peas, black beans and split peas.  I proudly displayed the beautiful jars of all different colors of beans.  They are simply beautiful.

One day, I took out my favorite chili recipe and went to the cupboard to grab my 2 cans of red kidney beans, then remembered I purchased dried red kidney beans.  I realized I had never really cooked with dried beans before and didn't know where to start.  

Then I found:

DRIED BEAN MATH

  1. Dry beans expand to about 2-1/2 times their original size when soaked.
  2. A one-pound package of dry beans equals about 2 cups dry, or 5-6 cups cooked.
  3. One 15 ounce can (drained) equals about 1-2/3 cups cooked beans.

1 2/3 cups of cooked beans (point 3 above) divided by 2 1/2 (the expansion factor in point 1 above ) equals:


2/3 cup of dry beans cooks up to equal 
1 - 15 oz can of cooked beans

To soak your beans, add your dried beans to a pot then add water 3 times the amount of beans. Bring your water and beans to a rapid boil.  Boil for five minutes, then cover and let sit for 4-5 hours.  They can soak overnight as well. 

Oh yeah, they also make great candle holders when the power goes out in your house!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment